IV Nutritional Therapy
Patients with chronic illnesses often have problems with malabsorption. IV nutritional therapy can greatly speed up the healing processes and, in some cases, is required because of inadequate oral absorption. Some of the IV therapies done in our office include:
- IV Vitamin C: (25 gm, 50 gm) High-dose vitamin C therapy is helpful in many conditions such as cancer, fibromyalgia, and other chronic illness. Vitamin C is also helpful in detoxification and for various infections, viral and bacterial.
- Myer’s Cocktail: This IV treatment is a combination of magnesium, calcium, vitamin C, and B vitamins. This IV is a helpful treatment for headaches, muscle pain, fatigue, asthma, and a variety of other conditions.
- Coronavirus IV: This IV does not treat the virus, but is designed to reduce the inflammatory symptoms of Covid-19
- IV Minerals: This IV is useful for patients with malabsorption, especially those who have had gastric bypass surgery. Mineral deficiency causes a variety of symptoms, including fatigue.
- IV Phosphatidylcholine: This treatment can clear fat-soluble toxins from the system as a benefit to brain and nerve cells and as part of a phospholipid exchange protocol aimed at treating neurotoxicity/fat-soluble toxins.
- IV Glutathione: This treatment is beneficial for detoxification, improved antioxidant protection. Most often used as a follow-up to the phosphatidylcholine IV above (as part of the protocol,) it’s useful on its own also. Dr. David Perlmutter has used IV glutathione in the treatment of neurological problems such as Parkinson’s disease. (See Dr. Perlmutter’s website, drpermutter.com.) The University of Oregon is also using IV glutathione in its Parkinson’s protocol, as well. Autistic children frequently benefit from glutathione IVs.
- IV Lipoic Acid: Lipoic acid is our body’s primary fat-soluble antioxidant and the number one deficiency we see on lab tests. This IV is helpful for neuropathy, nerve pain, cognitive function, liver disease, and Covid-19. It is often added to other IVs such as the glutathione IVs. It is especially helpful for back pain. In one study for back pain with 98 patients, all but 8% were still using analgesics after treatment with IV lipoic acid. PMID: 23860422
- IV Chronic Disease Formula: This formula is similar to the Myer’s cocktail, but with more ingredients, especially trace minerals. This IV formula has proved useful for those patients who need more intensive nutritional support.
- Custom IV Formulas: The most common IV’s we use are custom IV’s designed to treat your particular health problem. These IVs use a combination of ingredients such as glutathione, methyl B12, NAC, magnesium, calcium, and B6.
As integrative medicine becomes more recognized (many medical schools now offer instruction in integrative medicine), we have seen insurance reimbursement improve. In many cases insurance will cover the code for administration of an IV, but not ingredients. Coverage often depends on the diagnosis. of 98